Monday, July 12, 2010

Mercy Triumphs Over Judgment

“Kind mercy wins over harsh judgment every time.” The Message

IMG_0837God’s response to Adam’s sin was mercy, “I’ll fix it.” He did have to remove Adam and Eve from of the garden, but even that was an act of mercy. If He hadn’t they would have eaten of the Tree of Life and forever been locked into the state of sinfulness and there would have been no hope of redemption and restoration to a relationship with God.

Twice, David showed mercy to “a defenseless” Saul. The story of the “Prodigal Son” illustrated a father’s mercy towards an errant son. Jesus’ encounter with the adulterous woman and his forgiveness of Peter’s denial of knowing him were direct divine acts showing the mercy of God towards sinful man.

Romans 5:8-9 says, “God demonstrates his own love for us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, because we have now been declared righteous by his blood, we will be saved through Him from God’s wrath.”

These examples show how God’s mercy triumphs over judgment. They bring thoughts of gratitude to my mind:

  1. God was and is merciful towards me. That has been very freeing. Yes, His mercies are new every morning.
  2. God’s goodness, mercy and patience lead me to repentance and keep my heart open to Him.

Amazing! Incredible! Awesome!

Since God is merciful towards me, how should I speak, live and practice this “truth in love”?

If there is no prayer, forgiveness and blessing when I speak the truth about an offense, it will be saturated with judgment and condemnation, and the truth I speak can in no way be spoken in love.

James 2:13; Genesis 3:15; Hebrews 4:16; Philippians 1:9-11

No comments: