Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Meditation

July 6, I posted this thought on Facebook.

"Meditation has more to do with filling yourself with His thoughts [God’s] than it does emptying yourself of yours."

I know it’s not an original idea, but it sure touched a need out there. For what it's worth, here are some other thoughts on meditation. These thoughts didn’t necessarily originate with me either, but with the exception of the Biblical references I don’t know who to give credit to.

- be still and know that I am God, Ps. 4:4; 46:10
- God spoke in a still small voice, 1 Kings 19:12
- Renew our minds with the word of God, Rom 12:2
- meditate [to chew the cud like a cow] day and night on the Word, Joshua 1:8; Ps 1:2

I meditate, sitting quiet and just being, just being quiet before him. Like Mary sat at the feet of Jesus, I sit listening for Him to speak. My objective is not to empty myself, but to quiet myself. I think there is a difference. I quiet myself and fill myself with God's thoughts. Maybe I read one verse or two and just think on them. Maybe I'm listening to music and thinking about God. Maybe I'm not doing anything but sitting there and enjoying the presence of God that is with me. The neat thing is that as I quiet myself and fill myself with God's thoughts that come from His Word, He fills me with more of Himself. As I let Him fill me and as I obey Him, the undesirable in me is PUSHED out. The more full of God I am, the less full I am of myself.

There is a video teaching titled Be Still and Know that I Am God that deals with meditation and contemplative prayer. It's very good and includes comments and thoughts from Dr. Henry Cloud, Richard Foster, Max Lucado and Beth Moore.

No comments: